Making its highly anticipated debut is the 1st Annual San Diego Sriracha Festival on Saturday, September 20, 2014 at Liberty Station.
This chef-driven, all-inclusive, 21+ event from The Sriracha Cookbook and Food GPS spotlights the world's most iconic hot sauce at a unique, historical venue. Multiple stations allow guests to enjoy a variety of Sriracha-themed dishes, including desserts, at their own pace. Local craft beer, cocktails, sodas, iced coffee and iced tea help tame the heat while a live DJ set helps create a fun and unforgettable food and drink experience.
Some of San Diego’s best chefs and restaurants participating in this year’s event include:
- AQUI ES TEXCOCO Francisco Perez – Lamb Barbacoa Taco and Lamb Broth
- THE BELLOWS Schuyler Schultz – Sriracha-Cured Grilled Cobia with Sambal-Spice Couscous, Labne Cream, and Herbs
- BROTHERS PROVISIONS Aril Grain – Baguette Sliders with Sriracha-Beer Cheese, Apple, and Housemade Kimchi
- GANG KITCHEN Craig Jimenez – Caja China Roasted Crispy Pork with Fluffy + Spicy Rice Buns and Sweet + Sour Papaya
- HASH HOUSE A GO GO – Braised Pork Ribs with Sriracha BBQ Sauce, Charred Tomato and Horseradish Sour Cream + THE TRACTOR ROOM – Braised Wild Boar Sliders with Goat Cheese Sour Cream, Caramelized Onions and Sriracha BBQ Sauce – Craig “Andy” Beardslee
- THE PATIO John Medall – Powdered Sriracha-Crusted Seared Ono with Sea Bean Slaw and Plum Chutney
- SLATER’S 50/50 Brad Lyons – Sriracha Burger: Sriracha Spiced Patty topped with Pepper Jack Cheese, Chargrilled Yellow Onion, Sriracha Sauteed Mushrooms, Sriracha Glazed Bacon, Sriracha Garlic Cole Slaw, Sriracha Mayo and Sriracha on Brioche Bun
- STONE BREWING WORLD BISTRO & GARDENS Steve Robbins – Sriracha-Infused Arrogant Bastard Ale Brisket
- SUPERNATURAL SANDWICHES Christian Eggert – Crispy Sriracha Shrimp Sliders with Sriracha Chive Aioli, House Made Green Sriracha and Sriracha Salt
- URBN ST. BREWING Alex Carballo - Cucumber & Heirloom Tomato Salad with Honey-Sriracha Dressing
- URGE AMERICAN GASTROPUB Marc Liautard – Sriracha Porter Quiche with Porter Cream, Honey-cured Ham, Sriracha-cured Bacon Bits, shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano and Sriracha-Garlic Sauce
- WOW WOW WAFFLE Joe Kraft – Liège Waffle Bite Topped with Avocado, Roasted Chicken and Sriracha
“The response from our first Sriracha festival in L.A. was absolutely amazing,” says Randy Clemens, co-organizer of the Sriracha Festivals, as well as author of The Sriracha Cookbook and The Veggie-Lover’s Sriracha Cookbook. “We got plenty of requests to expand to more cities, so we’re very excited to add San Diego to the line-up with its own impressive selection of delicious Sriracha-themed dishes!” Clemens is no stranger to the San Diego dining scene: “I'm an L.A. native, but I lived in S.D. for several years while working at Stone Brewing Co., and I'm thrilled to be working with some of my favorite restaurants to put together an event like this in the city that I will always call my second home!”
- Churros El Tigre – Churros with Chocolate Sauce and Sriracha Cajeta
- Peterson’s Donut Corner – Donut Holes with Maple Sriracha + Chocolate Donut Holes with Sriracha Glaze
- Quenelle – Kecap Manis Ice Cream Bar with Black Sesame Streusel, Brown Butter Emulsion and Sriracha Gastrique
BEVERAGES: Stone Brewing Co. (Stone Coffee Milk Stout + Stone Go To IPA), Firestone Walker Brewing Co. (Union Jack IPA + Pivo Pils), Iron Fist Brewing Company (Roots of Wrath + Renegade Blonde) and URBN St. Brewing will be pouring local craft beer, while inventive bartender Jason Bran will serve creative cocktails. The event will also feature craft sodas from Los Angeles Ale Works, coffee from Portola Coffee Lab, and tea from Seventh Tea Bar.
CHARITY: A portion of proceeds from the San Diego Sriracha Festival will directly benefit Mama’s Kitchen, a San Diego-based charity that prepares and delivers three meals a day—free of charge—to approximately 350 men, women, and children affected by AIDS or cancer in San Diego County. Mama’s Kitchen has served over 7,000,000 meals since it was founded in 1990 and has never turned away a client who qualified for its services. More info at mamaskitchen.org.
LOCATIONS, TRANSPORTATION, AND PARKING: The 1st Annual San Diego Sriracha Festival will take place on Saturday, September 20, 2014 from 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm at the Liberty Station, Luce Court & Legacy Plaza, 2825 Dewey Road, San Diego CA 92106. Free parking will be available on-site in specified lots. For those utilizing public transportation, take the MTS Bus or Trolley to the Old Town Trolley Station, then board the 28 bus and exit at the Roosevelt & Rosecrans stop.
You Might Also Like
About The Sriracha Cookbook: Randy Clemens released The Sriracha Cookbook in January 2011, incorporating his favorite hot sauce in 50 unique recipes. Due to popular demand, The Veggie-Lover’s Sriracha Cookbook recently launched in July 2013 with an additional 50 recipes, all plant-based in nature. Both books are available on Amazon and at independent bookstores nationwide. More info at TheSrirachaCookbook.com. About Food GPS: Josh Lurie founded Food GPS in 2005. Since then, his Los Angeles-based website has remained dedicated to pinpointing the highest quality, best-tasting food and drink, regardless of price or cuisine, and sharing stories of people behind the flavor. Food GPS, Inc. also produces unique culinary events. More info at FoodGPS.com.